Thursday, November 15, 2007

Excellent Authors and Good Reads for Under the Christmas Tree

In my last post I gave you a few pointers on how to best buy books, cds and dvds. Now here are a few authors and books that I highly recommend for the holidays.

Excellent Authors

Jennifer Weiner:
All of Weiner’s main characters are strong, witty, smart, and sometimes sarcastic females. The topics of her books range from babies to careers. Regardless of whether you’ve had a child, have a job, or are even a female, there are plenty of life observances I think that we can all relate too in her books, though I would classify this as primarily chick-lit.

Nicholas Sparks:
Sparks writes for the romantics in all of us. Two of his books, “The Notebook” and “A Walk to Remember” have become major motion pictures as well. I recommend those books that focus on younger characters, such as the two which have become movies. Also, if you’ve read and liked “The Notebook” then you must read his follow-up “The Wedding.”

Jodi Picoult:
I credit Picoult as being one of the smartest and most-investigative writers out there. Each of her books tackles a controversial subject from all sides and is sure to leave the reader thinking. My personal favorite is “My Sister’s Keeper,” which focuses on the topic of having a child in order to save another.

Tom Clancy:
I must admit that this is the one author who’s made it onto the list, which I’ve never actually read. However, my dad swears by his novels. They tend to be very masculine (i.e. gory, investigative, war-themed), but hard to put down from what I can tell. Not to mention, endless as he’s written so many.

Stephen King:
King’s books have become horror classics of our time. I’m not much for sci-fi or horror, but I must admit, even I’ve found a book here or there of his that has heartfelt elements I truly appreciate. For example, the movie “Stand By Me” was based on one of King’s novellas. He also wrote an excellent memoir “On Writing” which is explained very well by its title. As a writer I found it incredible inspiring, smart, honest, and helpful.

J.K. Rowling:
Who hasn’t heard of the fabulous J.K. Rowling by now? I think she’s done an absolutely fantastic job of bringing back a true love of reading and adventure to children. Even adults love reading her book (guilty as charged). I honestly can't wait to see what comes next. So, if you have someone in the family who just can’t be bothered to sit down and read unless forced by homework assignments and the threat of the TV being taken away … then this is definitely the author for them.


All Around Good Reads

The Secret History ~ By: Donna Tartt
The Time Traveler’s Wife ~ By: Audrey Niffenegger
Son of a Witch ~ By: Gregory Maguire
After the War~ By: Carol Matas
I Know This Much is True~ Wally Lamb
The Bell Jar ~ By: Sylvia Plath

I hope this list helps :). Definitely let me know if you have some recommendations of your own that you'd like for me to include, so that others may enjoy them as well!


2 comments:

~*~Snappz~*~ said...

Who doesn't love JK and Harry? It's amazing how she was able to write a series that could captivate kids and adults.

Daszzle said...

Agreed, she's probably the best writer of our time. She made kids want to read again, and gave parents something to read with them. She's absolutely brilliant :).