Monday, August 4, 2008

Charitable Donations on Your Wedding Day

The deeper I get into wedding planning the more research I do. I'm constantly on the search for unique ideas that will give my fiance and I's big day some personality and style.

Among the many details, little to big, I've come to realize that the registry is one big deal. Where to register? What to put on the list? How close to the wedding should we begin?

However, my fiance and I have a two and a half year wait till the big day. By then we'll have been living together for a while and just may have almost everything we need to set up house. I doubt we're the only one's that may find themselves in this situation come the big day.

My suggestion? Break from tradition!

Sure you could instead ask politely ask guests to put their gift money towards parts of your honeymoon. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's a perfectly practical idea.

However, why not consider donating your wedding "gifts" to someone else instead? Web sites like I Do Foundation can make this easy to do. Not only can you set up a registry where the money will be donated to a charity of you and your beloveds choosing, but you can also make your guests and part of the giving by leaving them a kind note that a donation has been made in their names as a wedding favor. Sure, a champagne glass or bag of candy is nice, but I can almost guarantee that your guests will feel just as happy, if not more satisfied, to have made a difference for a charity of your choice.

I'm always open to sharing other ways to give forward. So if you have any wedding-themed ideas in mind, definitely let us know!


No comments: